Letters from England/Cambridge and Oxford

페이지 정보

profile_image
작성자 Ashely
댓글 0건 조회 5회 작성일 24-09-24 04:02

본문

Unless the green is a private one the talker has as much right to be there and to laugh or talk as you have to play golf, and every player should try and keep this fact in mind. Then there is a third one which is the oldest, a fourth one distinguished for scholarship, a fifth for athletic records, a sixth because it has the finest chapel, a seventh for I know not what, and as there are at least fifteen of them, I have mixed them all up; I see only the castellated palaces in Perpendicular style, the huge quadrangles, where the pupils move about in black gowns and square tasselled caps, each of whom has his two or three rooms in the wings of these castles; I see the Gothic chapels disembowelled by Protestantism, the banquet-halls with a dais for the "masters" and "fellows," the venerable smoked portraits of earls, statesmen and poets, who went forth from there; I see the renowned "backs," i.e. the rear of the colleges above the river Cam, over which there are bridges leading to the ancient college parks; I float on the gentle river between the "backs" and the parks, and I think of our students, of their hollow bellies and their boots down-at-heel with trudging from lecture to lecture.

As for offering sympathy to widows and orphans--well, these were foreigners mostly, who could not understand what was said to them, and who might be more embarrassed than helped by the intrusion into their grief of persons from an alien world. Boasting 20 world records endorsed by the prestigious Guinness Book of World Records, Dave established a legendary history in the sport industry. For sure will be big boost to the sport if it ever gets in. There are said to be two at Simla, not counting the woman who blows the bellows at Syree dâk-bungalow on the Old Road; Mussoorie has a house haunted of a very lively Thing; a White Lady is supposed to do night-watchman round a house in Lahore; Dalhousie says that one of her houses "repeats" on autumn evenings all the incidents of a horrible horse-and-precipice accident; Murree has a merry ghost, and now that she has been swept by cholera, will have room for some sorrowful ones; there are Officers' Quarters in Mian Mir whose doors open without reason, and whose furniture is guaranteed to creak, not with the heat of June but with the weight of Invisibles who come to lounge in the chairs; Peshawar possesses houses that none will willingly rent; and there is something-not fever-wrong with a big bungalow in Allahabad.

In due time I found my ghost, or ghosts rather, for there were two of them. Seeing that a fair proportion of the tragedy of our lives in India acted itself in dâk-bungalows, I wondered that I had met no ghosts. SOMEWHERE in England where there are books and pictures and plays and shop windows to look at, and thousands of men who spend their lives in building up all four, lives a gentleman who writes real stories about the real insides of people; and his name is Mr. Walter Besant. I lived in "converted" ones-old houses officiating as dâk-bungalows-where nothing was in its proper place and there wasn't even a fowl for dinner. Something may be learned, we firmly believe, even from skittles and ping-pong. And you know he might even rush over without putting all his clothes on, as smitten as he is with the ladies-who-can't-cook down the street. But putting has to be gone through every hole, and no golfer exists who does not know that putting is more than half a matter of nerve and nerve only. Mr. Hilton, who has twice won the Championship, has said somewhere that he uses wooden clubs, brasseys, what is billiards and spooned wooden clubs of sorts all through the green simply because he is absolutely unable to use iron clubs and play a champion's game with them.

Can you play snooker on a pool table? However, it is interesting that you can definitely play Snooker on a Pool table. Snooker Cues: Snooker cues are lighter (16-18 ounces) and longer (57-58 inches) with a thinner shaft and smaller tip diameter (9-10.5mm). This design enables precise cue ball control for the smaller snooker balls and the intricate positional play required in snooker, a game emphasizing strategy and finesse. Billiards Cues: Billiards cues feature a medium-weighted cue (17-21 ounces) with a moderate taper and a tip diameter typically ranging from 11-12mm. This configuration balances the power and precision necessary for carom shots on pocketless tables. Scoring a carom also entitles the player to another shot, and his turn, or inning, continues until he misses, when it becomes his opponent’s turn. The player must first pocket a red ball and then try to pocket any colour he may choose, scoring the value of the ball that he has pocketed. Sometimes, people call Pool pocket Billiards.

photo-1636574879131-5f3cd5c8a8e1?ixid=M3wxMjA3fDB8MXxzZWFyY2h8MTh8fHdoYXQlMjBpcyUyMGJpbGxpYXJkc3xlbnwwfHx8fDE3MjcwNzYwODh8MA\u0026ixlib=rb-4.0.3

댓글목록

등록된 댓글이 없습니다.